Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Happiness is Our Heritage

Sorry to you for the lack of posts this weekend. Between a broken washer and helping Anney, I wasn't home much. Then yesterday I wanted to watch the General Relief Society meeting that I missed, so I didn't post then either. However, this morning I finished the meeting by listening to Elder Uchtdorf's talk and have felt uplifted and inspired beyond my imagination. I just wanted to share a few things that I learned and ask those that weren't able to hear the messages, to go and watch them!

I like how REAL this talk was. Elder Uchtdorf started by saying this wasn't going to be a pep talk. He said he wasn't going to try and tell those that felt like they were sinking in quick sand to imagine that they were on the beach somewhere. He would tell us practical ways to find hope and happiness.

To find true happiness, he said, was to have God's happiness. What is His happiness? Us. Elder Uchtdorf explained that God's ultimate happiness is our well being, our exaltaion and eternal life. He pointed out that there are 2 principles that could help us find peace that God teaches us through His example.

FIRST: CREATING
Part of being happy is creating: He made it clear that it wasn't just about being creative (or what we think creative means) but that creating means that we bring something into existence that wasn't there before. Some examples he mentioned that I loved were creating smiles, laugher, or a beautiful space. He said that too often our FEAR OF FAILURE and VOICE OF CRITICS (from outside sources or from within) keep us from realizing that we are spirit children of the most creative Being there is. We have within us the capacity. He said that as we create we can improve the world around us and within us.

When he first started talking about this I was thinking about being a mother and creating new life. Obviously this is an amazing gift and experience. But I never thought before about how the little creations in my daily life (family memories, phone calls, kind words) is a way to bring happiness into my life. No wonder I always want some sort of project! That has been one of my biggest struggles since we finished building the house. I yearn to be busy, to do something, to build something. This talk helped me to realize that I am building and creating everyday and recognizing these things make me excited and HAPPY!

SECOND: COMPASSION
Giving of ourselves, he taught, is one way of finding ourselves. Going out of our way for someone else always brings light into our own lives and blesses us. He said that the amount of prayers we say may be counted unto us for righteousness, but maybe even more important are the prayers that we answer!

This principal is so TRUE. Again, this just made me want to go and find someone in need, to be a better visiting teacher, neighbor and friend. Just thinking of it made me HAPPY!

I am so thankful that the Lord has called Apostles to speak to our needs and to help us glean the things that will help us in our lives here and now. In addition to the writings of old, how can we not feel protected and helped every single day? What a blessing to have listened to this talk and it makes me excited for General Conference this weekend!

3 comments:

Heather Aleece said...

Thanks for sharing I didn't get to see this. I think it is interesting how sometimes we don't comprehend where we came from and what we have within us. We are children of God, thus we have in us his "DNA". How amazing is that?!

Jennifer said...

I was lucky enough to go to the dinner and then broadcast and that by far was my favorite talk as well. I've been trying to see how many times I can make Aaron smile:). Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hayley said...

Elder Uchdorf is just amazing to me. I loved his talk!