This is a quotation in the talk by John Cassian, a Christian teacher born in 354 A.D.
"It is easier for a worldly person to come to a healing change of his life, or even to the top of perfection, than a tired saint who is fallen from his first enthusiasm, because the worldly man will go through pain and agony and, sooner or later, he will not be able to stand it any longer, and will rush in the depths of depression to the source of true cleansing. But, when somebody has begun to pollute his name as a saint, without joyfulness and enthusiasm, he will still feel safe and, therefore, will not recognize what he is missing and, therefore, he is not easy to be taught. He will say in his heart, I'm blessed. I know it all and need nobody."
If we could gauge the overall enthusiasm in the church, I wonder what we would find. By enthusiasm I mean the real desires in the people's hearts. Their motivations for coming, for serving, etc. I think the optimistic would average out the downers, but this quote made me reflect on how much joy I take in because of the gospel. How much does that reflect in the changes I make to become a better person? I know that too often I take for granted what I have been given, and that makes me want to do better.
No comments:
Post a Comment