At first glance, I expected this chapter to be about prayer in general. But more specifically, Elder Holland is speaking about praying for our enemies. He says,
"Surely if we salute our friends only, what do we more than others? To make headway in a world of woe, we need to broaden our circle of love and lengthen the table of contents in our prayers."
My guess is that most of you reading this don't have a lot of enemies, if any. When I tried to think of some, I couldn't. However, there are many people who I wouldn't want to spend an afternoon with, ones that drive me crazy or are just plain annoying. It's not that we hate each other, we just don't really like each other either. I liked the phrase, "lengthen the table of contents" because anyone can pray for people they like, but what about the ones that we don't like? Elder Holland points out that in the Sermon on the Mount, the scripture that precedes the one where Christ asks us to be perfect, as He is perfect, is the one that says, "pray for your enemies." I felt the truth in that message. Praying for all and serving all, despite our differences, will help us to become more like the Savior.
No comments:
Post a Comment