Monday, March 16, 2009

The Source of All Healing - The Grandeur of God

I remember this talk well. Elder Holland talks about how our knowledge of the Son helps us to see the Father. Elder Holland describes the misconception many have of the Father as follows:

"Among these there is tendency to feel distant from the Father, even estranged from Him, if they believe in Him at all. And if they do believe, many moderns say they might feel comfortable in the arms of Jesus, but they are uneasy contemplating the stern encounter of God."

I have to admit that the first time I heard that, I could totally relate to such feelings. I don't know if that is because I didn't grow up with a strong father figure, but it seemed easier to think of being embraced by the loving Brother, rather than a father. However, as I see Jon be a dad to my sons, it is very difficult to imagine him sending them to endure any pain, let alone all that Jesus went through. In just sending Him, our Father loved us so much!

The second thing that this talk taught me, is that all the characteristics that Christ has and that we read about throughout all of scripture, are the exact characteristics that our Father has. Christ came to be the representative of the Father and to show us what He would do if He were here. It makes me so grateful that we not only have a Brother that cares for us so much, but also a loving Father. No matter what, we have a family that wants the best for us!

No comments: