#11

I read this book for a very exciting meeting I will be a part of this month (more to come on this later). It was just delightful. My favorite quote:
Claudia said, "But Mrs. Frankweiler, you want to learn one new thing every day...."
"No," I answered, "I don't agree with that. I think you should learn of course, and some days you must learn a great deal. But you should also have days when you allow what is already in you to swell up inside of you until it touches everything. And you can feel it inside you. If you never take time out to let that happen, then you just accumulate facts, and they begin to rattle around inside of you. You can make noise with them, but never really feel anything with them. It's hollow."
I want my goal to read 50 books this year to be more than just finishing.
#10

Thanks Jessica for this recommendation! I really loved this book for many reasons.
First, it really does show the influence that one person can have. I was humbled by sacrifices made by Greg Mortenson and his family. I felt so grateful that I have had the opportunity to be educated. It made me want to make an impact somewhere in the world.
It also reminded me of our friends Matt and Danika Gunn. Danika might kill me for putting this on here, but I just have to. Matt and Danika are selling their home and moving their family (4 children 7 and younger) to the Dominican Republic. Matt is going to head up a project to help families in Haiti have all of the following for $700: A new earth bag home, a composting toilet, water catching system, rocket stove, refrigeration, square foot gardening system, two rabbits, two chickens and two fruit trees. And he is going to be right there teaching them how do build and/or use all of these things. Danika will home school their children and be there to help in whatever way she can.
As I read this book I realized that there are very few people in the world willing to make such huge sacrifices for the good of others. I think we'd all like to, but it's people like Greg Mortenson and the Gunns that go out there and really do it. It's so inspiring!
7 comments:
Hey Trish,
I read Three Cups of Tea last year and also really liked it. I thought so many times while reading it that if it were me I would have given up long before. It is a good thing we have poeple like this.
It shows that if every one went all out on somthing they feel passionate about it could really make a difference.
If you need another book suggestion I just finished reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. It was really good! I would love to see what you think.
I am so happy that you took my advice and read this book!
Where did you get this book? My mother in law read it as well and said it was fantastic.
The library!
Yep, I had to call you after I read this post. You are awesome for making this reading goal. I have a hard time finishing a book because I have the tenancy to read 3 at a time. How do I break this habit?!
Three Cups of Tea is a great reminder of what one person can do for many but also what many can do for one.
Greg Mortenson's life was changed because of all those he influenced. It's a win/win for everyone when we get out of our own zone to lift and serve. :)
(You make me want to make more time to read!)
Post a Comment