Friday, April 2, 2010

A Lesson

I have been really frustrated lately with my boys. There has been whining, tantrums, disobeying, messes, fighting, crying...all times 2. And don't forget the endless, MAMMA! being screamed at me constantly.

I broke down bawling the other afternoon. I felt like I was doing something wrong. And today I realized I am.

I have not been enjoying Ezra and Ean enough.

When they are acting out, it can be because they are hungry or tired, but more often than not, it is because I am not giving them enough individual attention. I'll admit, I am a checklist person. I like projects and once I start them, I want to get them done. I realize that there has to be a balance between "me time" and "kid time" but, as hard as this is to admit, I too often err on the side of selfishness.

Today I still have a list of things to get done, but I've taken time out when the boys want my love and attention, instead of telling them, "just a minute." I want them to know, without a doubt, that they are my #1 priority.

5 comments:

LoGunns said...

It's a really hard balancing act. You're doing a great job T Lee!

Jenny said...

I struggle with that same thing. It's hard to balance your time being pulled in a million directions. Something so simple as giving my kids just 5 minutes of my time at the beginning of an hour makes the rest of the hour productive. It is such an easy concept but I get wrapped up in "my checklist" and wonder why they are acting out.
Hang in there you are not the only one.

Jennifer said...

I'm just gald to know it's not just me. Thanks for sharing.

Charie and Jonathan Francom said...

You are doing a fantastic job whether you feel like it or not. Being a mom is a true juggling act and keeping all the balls in the air is no easy task. I admire and look up to you. It is good to share your disappointments and frustrations too because we all learn and remember to never give up too. you always teach great lessons through your experiences. Love ya!

Debbie said...

Your amazing!
I watch you and think, WOW! You inspire me and teach me new things all the time...Kids are like that.