The path to a complete Christian education passes through the Garden of Gethsemane, and we will learn there if we haven't learned it before that our Father will have no other gods before him--even (or especially) if that would-be god is our self. I assume you are all far enough along in life to be learning that great discipline already. It will be required of each of us to kneel when we may not want to kneel, to bow when we may not want to bow, to confess when we may not want to confess--perhaps a confession born of painful experience that God's thoughts are not our thoughts, neither are his ways our ways, saith the Lord (see Isaiah 55:8).
I think that is why Jacob says to be learned--or, we would presume, to be any other worthy thing--is good if one hearkens unto the counsels of God. But education, or public service, or social responsibility, or professional accomplishment of any kind is in vain if we cannot, in those crucial moments of pivotal personal history, submit ourselves to God even when all our hopes and fears may tempt us otherwise. We must be willing to place all that we have--not just our possessions (they may be the easiest things of all to give up), but also our ambition and pride and stubbornness and vanity--we must place it all on the altar' of God, kneel there in silent submission, and willingly walk away.
I believe what I am describing here is the scriptural definition of a saint, one who will "yield to the enticings of the Holy Spirit," and "through the atonement of Christ . . . becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father" (Mosiah 3:19).
I need to be willing to place physical appetites on that personal alter. The fact that it is food doesn't really matter. It could be pornography, alcohol, drugs, video games, whatever. It's the fact that I let my physical self rule over my spiritual self. And that's why it's so important to me to overcome it.
Elder Holland says that it's not popular in our culture to be submissive, even to God. But I am learning that it feels good to want to be humble, to want to be under the watchful care of a loving Father. That submission to His will always be the best possible thing for us. It allows us become our very best selves which is why we are here, is it not?
So, I won't be hiding anymore and I won't be offended if you ask me how things are going with this. In fact, I would gladly accept it. I need the support and I need the accountability. It's going to be a journey making this weak thing into something strong...
12 comments:
Trish,
I'm proud of you and I know about struggle with inner demons. You have hidden this well except for when you've mentioned it, so it's easy for outsiders to forget that you're fighting.
With my depression I have finally come to a point where I accept it as one of my constant challenges and have promises myself that I will ALWAYS keep trying, no matter how many times I fall or how pointless it seems.
I think for me that I have felt far from Deity for a very long time now. I still believe, but I don't feel that personal connection like I used to. But I know I'll keep trying. I'll always keep trying. The only surefire mode of failure and stopped progress is to stop trying.
And if it was something you could overcome just by deciding, you wouldn't grow much.
I hope you'll use me as a source of friendship and support. I love you and know that without a doubt this obstacle is not a negative indication of your character, but a positive one. God trusts you that much to grow from such a trial. That would sound condescending if I didn't know what I was talking about.
I love you! Kudos for being open about it. It will only lead to paths of healing.
I think you are amazing for just being willing to admit you have a problem. So many of us (myself included) are afraid to admit our weakness' because it makes us feel even more weak.
I'm sending you a book that I think you will enjoy. Love ya.
Hey Trish!
I recommend Carol Tuttle's books "Remembering Wholeness" and "It's Just My Nature." You can also google her to find her websites.
There is also a woman in Boise, Idaho that you can work with over the phone that is an energy coach. She helps people get through blocks and address issues like you describe. Her name is Deena Jordan. She is amazing to work with. Her phone number is (208)284-9766.
Also, I just read that sometimes we see food as love. Carol Tuttle says, "Our bodies require love through appropriate touch. When that need has not been met, we often turn to food to fill us. The root cause of all addictions is the body's need for attention. Food feels good to the body. The body will begin to believe food is love and continually seek it out to get the feeling of sweetness and fullness that the energy of real love gives us when it is open and flowing in our being."
I wish you lots of love and light on your journey of discovering your true self!
Trisha,
If anyone can learn how to overcome, or at least learn to cope with this, you can. You always manage to overcome things with grace.
Love you T.
T-
Way to be brave--to embrace the abyss, as they say. I love you.
Did you know that you are the most inspirational person I know? You are a deep and spiritual person. And truly courageous.
Not only you benefit from your desire to endure.
You definitely shouldn't feel silly about sharing your struggle. We all go through different trials and I am so glad you are reaching out for support. You are so much braver than I am. I love you so much and will do whatever I can to help you. I know I could do better with what I am eating. Honestly, I feel like I was fine, but after breastfeeding...it is hard to not want to eat everything I want to, all the time. I have never really had this urge before. You are amazing and strong. You can do whatever you set your mind to.
JUst read this post and was in tears. You are such an inspiration. I feel so blessed that even though I hate my monkey on my back (food)...at least I have a sister who completely gets what I am experiencing too. I wish sometimes neither one of us would have to have this trail but then again it is causing us to be more humble. Thanks for showing me the way.
I love you with all my heart. q
I just found your blog! So obviously this was posted a while ago, but I wanted to let you know that I, along with everyone else, think you are amazing! I've always looked up to you As what a wife and mother should be. I think you are amazing. Since we've been in Mississippi I have been doing a lot of inner searching really trying to figure out what my weaknesses are in life and things I can improve on. Of course when you ask... You get your answer! And boy did I get mine! With the help of my amazing husband and his being in tune with the Spirit enough to tell me what I needed to hear, even though it was hard, I came face to face with something that has been an issue for realistically the last 10 years. Everything started to make sense why I felt the way I felt and I immediately recognized the wisperings of the advasary. It was insane. I just cried and cried and cried some more. But Frans pulled me in and hugged me and I asked him how do I fix this? He said you are doing it right now. Doing what I asked and he said you have recognized the problem and humbled yourself to realize that you need help and can't do it by yourself. He told me, the Savior has been waiting all this time for me to give him this burden. But instead I've been too stubborn to give it up. So I prayed so hard to be able to overcome this trial that was keeping me from my true potential as a wife, mother, and daughter of God. Immediately I felt nothing but joy and love. I still catch myself falling into that old rut, because it was second nature. I did it without realizing I was doing it. But I would just stop, pray, and redirect my thoughts and energy to something positive. I am a firm believer that the Lord tests us and tries us no more than we can handle. Frans describes it with a rubberband. We are the rubberband and He will pull it until you think it is going to break and then He stretches it a little bit further. The rubberband never breaks on us though. For me, I'm learning to actually trust Him. I'd like to say that i've always trusted Him, but i've always had a little doubt in the back of my mind. Now I can honestly say that I am trusting Him with my whole heart. It is scary and a huge leap of faith but just like He comes through on small things, He will come through on big things as well. This is an opportunity to have your relationship with Him be strengthened and your testimony of His divine grace and love strengthened as well. You are strong and you will, with His help, get through this! :)
I just found your blog! So obviously this was posted a while ago, but I wanted to let you know that I, along with everyone else, think you are amazing! I've always looked up to you As what a wife and mother should be. I think you are amazing. Since we've been in Mississippi I have been doing a lot of inner searching really trying to figure out what my weaknesses are in life and things I can improve on. Of course when you ask... You get your answer! And boy did I get mine! With the help of my amazing husband and his being in tune with the Spirit enough to tell me what I needed to hear, even though it was hard, I came face to face with something that has been an issue for realistically the last 10 years. Everything started to make sense why I felt the way I felt and I immediately recognized the wisperings of the advasary. It was insane. I just cried and cried and cried some more. But Frans pulled me in and hugged me and I asked him how do I fix this? He said you are doing it right now. Doing what I asked and he said you have recognized the problem and humbled yourself to realize that you need help and can't do it by yourself. He told me, the Savior has been waiting all this time for me to give him this burden. But instead I've been too stubborn to give it up. So I prayed so hard to be able to overcome this trial that was keeping me from my true potential as a wife, mother, and daughter of God. Immediately I felt nothing but joy and love. I still catch myself falling into that old rut, because it was second nature. I did it without realizing I was doing it. But I would just stop, pray, and redirect my thoughts and energy to something positive. For me, I'm learning to actually trust Him. I'd like to say that i've always trusted Him, but i've always had a little doubt in the back of my mind. Now I can honestly say that I am trusting Him with my whole heart. It is scary and a huge leap of faith but just like He comes through on small things, He will come through on big things as well. This is an opportunity to have your relationship with Him be strengthened and your testimony of His divine grace and love strengthened as well. You are strong and you will, with His help, get through this! :)
I just found your blog! So obviously this was posted a while ago, but I wanted to let you know that I, along with everyone else, think you are amazing! I've always looked up to you As what a wife and mother should be. I think you are amazing. Since we've been in Mississippi I have been doing a lot of inner searching really trying to figure out what my weaknesses are in life and things I can improve on. Of course when you ask... You get your answer! And boy did I get mine! With the help of my amazing husband and his being in tune with the Spirit enough to tell me what I needed to hear, even though it was hard, I came face to face with something that has been an issue for realistically the last 10 years. Everything started to make sense why I felt the way I felt and I immediately recognized the wisperings of the advasary. It was insane. I just cried and cried and cried some more. But Frans pulled me in and hugged me and I asked him how do I fix this? He said you are doing it right now. Doing what I asked and he said you have recognized the problem and humbled yourself to realize that you need help and can't do it by yourself. He told me, the Savior has been waiting all this time for me to give him this burden. But instead I've been too stubborn to give it up. So I prayed so hard to be able to overcome this trial that was keeping me from my true potential as a wife, mother, and daughter of God. Immediately I felt nothing but joy and love. I still catch myself falling into that old rut, because it was second nature. I did it without realizing I was doing it. But I would just stop, pray, and redirect my thoughts and energy to something positive.
(I guess it was too long for one post!)For me, I'm learning to actually trust Him. I'd like to say that i've always trusted Him, but i've always had a little doubt in the back of my mind. Now I can honestly say that I am trusting Him with my whole heart. It is scary and a huge leap of faith but just like He comes through on small things, He will come through on big things as well. This is an opportunity to have your relationship with Him be strengthened and your testimony of His divine grace and love strengthened as well. You are strong and you will, with His help, get through this! :)
Post a Comment