Monday, January 10, 2011

#2
I actually started this book a long time ago.  In fact, the first time I started it was years ago when I borrowed the book from my sister in law...which I still have.  I fell asleep every time I tried to read it.

So, I got it as an audio book and it was still very difficult to get into to.  I don't think I would have been able to get through it just reading.  It was slow and confusing for the first two books (maybe because I listen while cleaning and my kids are usually interrupting every five minutes.)  I even asked people why this was considered a classic.  They told me to wait.

And then I got to book 3 and I actually got chills during one of the later chapters.  It was really cool, and once I understood the history and background, it was so insightful on this period of time.  I am glad for harder books because they almost always give me a reward for all my effort.

3 comments:

Les said...

way to go! I think I may try and tackle this one this year too!

Joni said...

Hurray for Dickens! I'm listening to Great Expectations while I drive to and from school and I just love it. No one does narrative like Dickens, IMO. Great Expectations is much lighter and funnier than A Tale of Two Cities.

I'm glad you made it through. I actually cried at the ending of A Tale of Two Cities.

Leisa said...

i think this is one of my top 10 favorite books. I love the characters and how dickens writes them. It inspires me.