There is a lot of religious twisting around of terms in later books. The "angels" are not good creatures. I got the impression that Pullman was pulling some not too subtle punches on the idea of religion.
If you read it as fiction, however, it is quite an enjoyable story. My biggest disappointment with the series was that I felt it took a plot turn that didn't live up to its beginning, IMO. Still a lot of fascinating concepts and imagery, though.
I read these in grad school in a course on children's literature and religious education. If you're reading it looking for religious imagery, it is quite shockingly anti organized religion in general and anti-Catholic specifically. Pullman also really dislikes C.S. Lewis and does some things in response to the Chronicles of Narnia. As a story, they're exciting and well written. Though, there is a veiled sex scene in the third book which really bothers me, along with some other mature topics. I'll let my children read them as adolescents but only when I can read them at the same time and talk with them about it.
All that being said, I really like them, and own all three if you want to borrow them.
2 comments:
There is a lot of religious twisting around of terms in later books. The "angels" are not good creatures. I got the impression that Pullman was pulling some not too subtle punches on the idea of religion.
If you read it as fiction, however, it is quite an enjoyable story. My biggest disappointment with the series was that I felt it took a plot turn that didn't live up to its beginning, IMO. Still a lot of fascinating concepts and imagery, though.
I read these in grad school in a course on children's literature and religious education. If you're reading it looking for religious imagery, it is quite shockingly anti organized religion in general and anti-Catholic specifically. Pullman also really dislikes C.S. Lewis and does some things in response to the Chronicles of Narnia. As a story, they're exciting and well written. Though, there is a veiled sex scene in the third book which really bothers me, along with some other mature topics. I'll let my children read them as adolescents but only when I can read them at the same time and talk with them about it.
All that being said, I really like them, and own all three if you want to borrow them.
Post a Comment