I am just starting where I am at, so here it goes: Alma 9
Alma (the younger) is trying to teach the people of Ammonihah, who are Nephites but have hardened their hearts to the gospel message. Alma reminds them of all that the Lord has done for them and all the special blessings that they have been given. He also tells them some of the consequences of choosing to rebel against the knowledge that they have.
Yesterday I saw a news clip about the failing stock market and the problems with the economy. It's easy to become scared by these things, wondering what the future holds. When I read this chapter, the promise given by the Lord to Lehi stood out to me:
"Do ye not remember the words which he spake unto Lehi, saying that: Insasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper in the land?"
Even in hard times this promise applies to me. I can still prosper if I am doing my best to keep the commandments and prepare as the prophets have asked us to. I took to heart the counsel to repent of the things that I am doing wrong, because as Alma puts it the Lord "expressly promised and firmly decreed" (vs. 24) that if we are not doing our part, He cannot do his.
I know that one of my biggest challenges is being too busy and not appreciating all that I have. Remembering all that the Lord has done for me helps me have a bigger perspective on how I live today.
5 comments:
What a great idea! This will probably be a great blessing to not only you but all of us faithful Trisha followers :)
I cannot wait to glean a little more spirituality from you...and it will be sooner than later. We ALL leave the first of OCT for Utah! Just doesn't make sense to be apart. I feel a lot better about that.
I also think this is a great idea. You are such an insiration and example of the importance of spiritual growth. I feel lucky to read your thoughts and hopefully do better myself. Thanks!
Thanks! I needed that reminder! I was really fretting earlier today at the hit our 401K is taking. I needed to be reminded about the eternal perspective. Thanks again!
Good point.
I think I focus more on what the Lord is going to do for me and not so much on what I need to do for my part...and then I wonder... what is taking so long...why am I not seeing any results?
Thanks for the insight.
What a true statement. I've been worried as well and that was the reminder I needed. I think we spend so much time worring about all the things around us that we forget about the eternal perspective of it all. Thank you for that reminder!
Post a Comment