Thursday, December 11, 2008

Gather to the Temple

Claudio R. M. Costa is a member of the Quorum of the Seventy. In this Ensign article, he talks about the growth of the church in Brazil and the building of new temples. Specifically he talks of the saints in Manaus and the many sacrifices they have made to go to the temple. Here are a few examples:

"When Benedito Carlos do Carmo Mendes Martins decided to take his family to the nearest temple in 1992, he needed 15 days off work to make the arduous round-trip from his home in Manaus, in northern Brazil. It was a busy time for his company, however, and his boss refused to give him time off."

"Because the family had prepared, sacrificed, and saved money to make the trip, they prayed that they might somehow still be able to go. Their prayers were soon answered.
'The day before the trip, I was diagnosed with parasites,” Brother Martins said. “I was so happy to be sick!'"

"His doctor immediately prescribed medication and a two-week medical leave of absence from work, which, by law, his company was obligated to give. The next day the family left for the temple."

"'I took my medicine with me, and during the trip I received injections,' Brother Martins said. By the time he returned, the parasites were gone."

And get this: Before there was a temple in Venezuela, members would travel for 7 days, 2,170 miles to get to the Sao Paulo temple. When they became a part of the Venezuela district they exclaimed, "Now it takes us only 40 hours to get to the temple!"

In 2007, the Prophet announced that a temple would be built in Manaus...Brazil's 6th temple.

I know that I take the temple for granted. Before having children going seemed really easy. I say now that it is difficult, but when I read stories like this, I realize that it is not difficult at all. And I need to do better.

No comments: