Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Favorite Scripture

This is my favorite scripture of all time. I have been reading it a lot lately.

"For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

"I know both how to be abased and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need."

-Philippians 4:11-12

In life it is easy to look at what I don't have, instead of what I do have. This scripture reminds me that I need to be content where I am at today. This can be in terms of temporal things, but it can also relate to where we are spiritually. I know in the past I have been discouraged because I didn't feel like I was where I needed to be, but I've realized that aquiring anything is a journey.

This principle has been especially true for me in relation to where I am in life's major milestones. If you are anything like me, I've often yearned for life's next step...like marriage, or children, or being done with school. Or, at times, I've lived in the past. Going back to the dating days, the college days, the days when I had a nice California tan....whatever.

What I love about this scripture, especially verse 12, is that Paul teaches us that while there might be that yearning or need tugging at us to go back or forward in time, there should also be the appreciation for things we already have, or the things we have already experienced. If I am content NOW, then I don't have to live in the past or in the future.

I can live today.

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

I really like this post. It is so true! I tend to think that if things are not going the way I want at the time I will look forward or back not realizing that they are not going the way I want for a reason. I need to look more at the now to figure out what I can learn from the present. Thanks for the post.