Monday, January 12, 2009

The Power of the Word - The Tongue of Angels

I remember feeling like I could really do better when I first heard this talk. Elder Holland talks about how our words can shape our lives in so many different ways. The first chide I felt was when he mentioned gossip. I know it is usually harmless, but talking behind someone's back always makes me feel that if I got caught doing it, I would feel bad. That, in and of itself, should tell me something.

The second time that I felt I could improve was after reading this section:

"In all of this, I suppose it goes without saying that negative speaking so often flows from negative thinking, including negative thinking about ourselves. We see our own faults, we speak - or at least think - critically of ourselves, and before long that is how we see everyone and everything. No sunshine, no roses, no promise of hope or happiness. Before long we and all around us are miserable."

I can be highly critical of myself and I know when I am like this, I am no fun to be around. Optimism is a gift, and I can only start with my own thoughts and go from there.

1 comment:

Joni said...

I think as members of the church we get caught in a paradox. We don't EVER want to sound prideful, so we take it too far the other direction. Talking (or thinking) about yourself in a way that makes it appear that you just aren't measuring up seems safe because then you for sure aren't being prideful. Little do we remember that it is just as sinful (and prideful) to place ourselves below others as it to place ourselves above them.

God doesn't want us to be prideful, but he does want us to remember that we are His children with amazing gifts and talents that he wants us to cultivate. Our possibilities are boundless.

Satan loves to help us think just the opposite. It's such an easy trap to fall into.