#4
I realize that the list of books I've read in my life is not extensive. Probably many of you have already read The Hiding Place, but I will give my review anyway.

I have read other authors quoting Corrie ten Boom before, but reading this book in full was such a powerful experience for me. When she described the day the German soldiers raided their home and arrested them, she had the flu. And so did I while reading it. It made the hardships that they faced while in poor health all the more real to me. The main thing that I took from this book: When we are focused on Christ, we can turn horrible, wretched circumstances into good. Also, Betsie taught me that you can always be grateful for your situation. Even though I was MISERABLE with the flu, at least I wasn't sick and in a dirty jail cell.
I also wanted to write down some thoughts about my love/hate relationship with blogging. Please share your perspective in the comments.
I love it for the following reasons:
1. You reconnect. I have LOVED interacting with people who otherwise I would not know how to get in contact with. It has been so great to see how friends have changed and the amazing things they have done with their lives.
2. You can see what is happening in people's lives. I have felt touched by the kindness people have shown to me and others when there are major milestones and or hardships. Everyone reaching out to help has been inspiring.
3. You have a family journal and history. My boys LOVE looking at the blog books we have made. It is really fun for them to see what they used to look like the fun things they were interested in.
The reasons I hate it:
1. Sometimes it can give a false sense of where people are at. Of course we all put our best face forward on a blog. But sometimes I mourn that I didn't know about what was REALLY happening in someone's life that I love because I saw only the "cover."
2. Blogging can give a false sense of relationship if left alone. If all we ever do is check blogs, without other interactions, then we really don't have any real relationships. This has been especially on my mind since I have been so cooped up.
3. And finally, I can only put so much on the blog. My blogging self, or the perceptions people get from the limited things I post, is not my full self. I just hope I can remember not to define myself or anyone else by only seeing one dimension.
And those are my thoughts for today!
6 comments:
I loved your thoughts about blogging. I feel the same way. I especially liked what you said about having "virtual" friendships. It just isn't the same and I hope that it never overtakes the personal side of relationships.
I loved that book too. I just read Redeeming Love. Very tragic and at first I didn't want to keep reading but some great lessons about having a relationship with God.
I feel the same about blogging.
I've loved The Hiding Place since High School. I just read Miracles on the Water by Tom Nagorski. Also a WWII story-heart wrenching, but still very uplifting. I agree with the blogging pros and cons. I hope you have a great fluless week!
Loved your thoughts both on the book and about blogging. I totally agree with you! I'm glad I get to know you from many different dimensions. That way I get to really see how amazing you in so many many ways. You really are one of my heros! I love you T!
Loved your insight and thoughts about blogging. I too have had the same thoughts...sometimes I just call you or come over because I want to talk to you in person about a post...but I can't allways do that with everyone.
I am glad you are making note about all these good books, some day in the future when I can listen to books on cd's again I want to check some of them out.
Did you ever find your "Peace Giver"?
Post a Comment