Thursday, February 4, 2010

#5
One of the reviews on the back cover described this book as "haunting." I would say it was heavy.
The perspectives from the different characters taught me that there is always another way of seeing things. What we perceive as real, may not always be real to others. It made me want to seek understanding before judgement.

I no doubt take for granted the freedoms and comforts of my everyday life, and reading about Africa humbled me as I thought of my circumstances. I have very little room to complain (if at all) and yet I do it so often.

It makes me think of my own favorite scripture in the New Testament, Philippians 4: 11-12
"For I have learned in whatsoever state I am therewith to be content."
"I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed to both be full and to be hungry; both to abound and to suffer need."

While we may have, we always need.

3 comments:

Joni said...

I really enjoyed this book as well. I read it about 3-4 years ago.

Kylene said...

I just got home from a trip to Mexico and the scripture in Philippians needs to be in some type of needlework on my wall! We are so, so very blessed to live where we live, have what we have, and know what we know.

Heather Aleece said...

Trisha, I love your Test of Treats. That is really great. It sort of reminds me of my goal this year (which I thought of after January) to remember everyone's birthday's, to really keep in mind that person on that day and recognize all of their good qualities.

Also, I have been looking forward to getting my internet back so I can come to Small and Simple things. My soul is really thirsting right now and you always remind me of who I am and how to obtain a sense of my spirituality. I love what you do here because it really does make a difference in the people who read it.