Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#6
I had read this before, but what I love about good books is that they can mean different things every time you read them. Remember how I was yearning to forgive? This had some perfect applications to my personal struggle in this area. I learned that it has been more about what I need to do and less about what the other person needs to do. I need to have a change of heart.

In addition, there were two great truths that I gained this go around:

1. Sin and difficulty in our lives make us reach out to God. This was especially poignant in relation to my food addictions. Some days I just wish it would go away, or that I could find a magic solution that would last forever. I really felt power in this principle because I realized that while it's not easy, this difficulty in my life keeps me in check. It causes me to be humble and look to God for help. Without it, maybe I wouldn't be what I'm meant to be.

2. Salvation does not come in a sentence, in a paragraph, in a book, but rather in a person; Jesus Christ. No amount of studying, note taking or philosophizing can take the place of an individual relationship with the REAL Savior.

4 comments:

Crystal Deamer said...

Beautifully stated. Our weaknesses keep us humble and in check, while our relationship with the Savior makes us stronger.

Haylee Munk Brown said...

You have inspired me to read this book again. I haven't read it since I was engaged. I will see how it affects me different this time around. Thanks Trish!!

Kylene said...

Amen! Thanks for the thoughts.

Debbie said...

You are such an inspiration to me.
I think you must have been my older, valient and much wiser sister in the pre exsistence.