Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Thought

I had a sort of revelation about my food issues this week.  I have been guilting myself over treats this holiday season and have been frustrated with what I should do next.  I can obviously do a "sugar fast" because I did it last year, but in the year since, doing that did not help my dysfunctional relationship with food.

While running this week the simple thought came to me that I need to NOT have a treat when I am doing it for an emotional purpose.  When I eat something to soothe myself, when I am stressed, when I am angry, etc., I am only perpetuating the problem.  It is not bad to have a treat to just have a treat, but my issue is when I do it for an emotional reason.  So, that may mean that I have more than one treat a day, or it may that I have none.  It is all dependent on my emotions.

Since realizing this, I have recognized the patterns I have with my emotions and food.  It seems so simple, but I have not thought about it in this way before.  I feel some new hope!

1 comment:

LoGunns said...

Yes. That makes sense. I could use this too:)